You are here

ePOC Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

  • Do I need to become an ECF registered user to file an electronic proof of claim?

    No. A claimant or a claimant’s agent may utilize the electronic filing feature available on the court’s website without becoming a registered ECF user; no login or password is required.

  • Can I file an electronic proof of claim in any chapter case?

    Yes. The Northern District of Ohio Bankruptcy Court began accepting electronic claims in all cases effective February 1, 2019.

  • Is a signature required on the proof of claim?

    Yes. An electronic signature is required. Type the name of the person authorized to file the claim on behalf of the creditor. This will be treated as the electronic signature. A copy of any power of attorney should be attached to the claim.

  • Do I need to attach the B410 claim form as an attachment?

    No. The fillable form will create the B410 form. Any attachments should consist of supporting documentation to the Proof of Claim.

  • Can I include a separate mailing address for payments?

    Yes. Check the box indicating that the Payment Address is different from the Notice Address. An additional address field will appear for this alternate address for payments.

  • Can I get a file-stamped acknowledgment of the Proof of Claim?

    Yes. The Court’s claim number will display with a link to the electronically file-stamped proof of claim upon submitting the proof of claim. It is recommended that the claim be printed or saved at this time.

  • I am a creditor’s attorney and will be filing a claim on behalf of my client. How do I record the creditor address and my address as attorney?

    When filing the claim, there is a drop-down box on the first screen which allows you, the filer, to select who is submitting the claim. The options are: Creditor; Creditor’s Attorney; Debtor; Debtor’s Attorney; or Trustee. If the attorney is the filer, you will be able to add the attorney name and address and select the creditor’s name from the listing of creditors in the case or if the creditor is not listed or listed incorrectly, you are able to add the correct creditor. Both names and addresses will be added to the mailing matrix and displayed on the Proof of Claim and Claims Register.

  • If I file my claim using this electronic form, will I be added to the case for service of future notices?

    Yes. The address of the creditor listed on the proof of claim is automatically added to the mailing matrix of a case when a proof of claim is filed.

  • I filed a claim and my attachments did not properly attach to the claim filed. How do I get the supporting documentation filed?
    1. Ensure that the attachment(s) is in PDF format and is being submitted
      in black and white (no color documents).
    2. Confirm that each PDF document being attached is less than 5 MB in
    3. File an amended claim and attach the correct PDF images.
    4. When filing the amended claim, check the box on the form that
      designates that the claim is amended.  Select the claim number of the
      claim to be amended.
    5. Attachments must be added by the process above.
  • I clicked the button for attachments, but I don’t have any. Do I have to start over?

    No. At the screen for adding attachments, choose the File a Proof of Claim button without adding any attachments.

  • I am clicking the Submit Claim button, but I receive an error. What do I do?

    Check your work. Make sure you have:

    1. Entered a complete creditor name and address.
    2. Entered a total for the amount claimed.
    3. Chosen the correct option for filing supporting documentation.
    4. Chosen a box for the Basis of the Claim section.
    5. Entered a name in the Signature line.
    6. Completed the verification code correctly.
  • When will the claim appear on the claims register?

    The claim will immediately appear on the claims register upon submitting the proof of claim.

  • Will the Trustee be served with the Proof of Claim?

    Yes. The Trustee will receive notification of the claim through the Court’s Notice of Electronic Filing. You do not need to file a separate paper claim with the Trustee’s office.

  • I need to amend a claim. How do I do this?

    When completing the fillable claim form, check the box (above item 1, on the form) to indicate that the claim amends a previously filed claim. You can then enter the Court claim number and/or date of the previous claim.

  • If my claim has been paid, should I file a Withdrawal of Claim?

    No. A withdrawal of claim should only be filed if the claim was filed in error.

  • At the time of filing my claim, I do not know the amount that is due. How do I enter "Unknown" in the amount for the claim?

    In the amount box, enter: 0.00. Attach documentation to the claim explaining the reason that the 0.00 was entered. The amount on the B410 that is produced will state "See Attachments." Once you know the amount of the claim, file an amended claim.